Wednesday, July 17, 2013

A Not So Happy Ending

Disclaimer: I am a HUGE fan of Friendly's.... HUGE

Let me start by saying that I dine at Friendly's pretty frequently, at least once a month. I go in and don't even look at the menu because I always get one thing: the famous Honey Barbeque Chicken Supermelt. It's phenomenal. I also always pair it with a Coke and a Happy Ending Sundae. Not this time...



Tonight I went to a Friendly's in North Dartmouth, MA. They recently made over the restaurant; new design, furnishings, menu, etc. I have no complaints about the design and furnishings, they were not over the top and they fit well with the theme and culture of the restaurant. The menu I felt was smaller than it used to be... less options. But I couldn't really tell because I've never ordered anything else but the Honey Barbeque Chicken Supermelt. HOWEVER! There was a huge change that I noticed. They always offered the following deal: a soda, supermelt, and happy ending sundae for $9.99. Who could refuse a deal like that?! With the new menu tonight, there were absolutely no ice cream combinations available for ANY meals. What is with that?! 

I couldn't believe my eyes. I could understand if the combination cost a little more, maybe like $11.99 or something. But NOTHING. Sure I could still order the drink and sundae, but for $5 more than what I paid about a month ago for the same thing. So what was the result? I didn't order a soda or a sundae... and neither did the two other people I dined with. 

It got me thinking. It seemed that marketing clearly did not play a big role in this new make over. I'm sure this change was not location specific. Did they truly think about what the customer wants and values when they made these changes in the menu? A company who has made its business off of the popularity and good reputation of its ice cream no longer offering combinations of meals and ice cream? It just doesn't seem well thought out. As a customer, I go to Friendly's for a good meal followed by ice cream at a great value. Additionally, the offering of the ice cream with the meal made me more likely to pay the extra price for the ice cream. 

Did they do any marketing planning? What did they think the customer valued? Did they do any market research? Did they project what the customer response would be? Did they survey customers about the new changes or do a small trial?

I will get off my soap box about having to pay $5 extra for a Happy Ending Sundae... but I just feel that marketing should have played a much larger role in the rolling out of the new plans and changes. It's even part of the name! It's supposed to be a Happy Ending!! And part of their slogan.... "Where ice cream makes the meal"....

No comments:

Post a Comment